Thursday, December 24, 2009

1924 Gearhart Circular Sock Knitting Machine

I acquired this Circular Sock Knitting Machine (CSM) at a local garage sale from the granddaughter of the original owner. I cleaned it up and learned the basics of operating this machine, and decided that I enjoyed needle knitting better. I understand that even experienced knitters have to deal with dropped stitches upon occasion!

If anyone can convince me that I could knit without those dropped stitches I might reconsider! (see next post for the resulting answer to my plea!)

Since I am not an experienced knitter I cannot verify the exact condition of this machine. The cylinder turns very smoothly, but it's driving me crazy with dropped stitches - I switch the needles into different positions and then it works for awhile, then will start dropping stitches in another place! (ok - maybe it's operator error, but the machine really does seem "cranky" at times!) I cleaned the needles by shaking them in a jar with sand and water, a tip from a neighboring cranker.



















72 slot cylinder, uses 18 g needles maybe?
3 - 2 lb, 2 - 1 lb Weights
stem weight
set-up basket
crank and handle
yarn guide
pick-up
heel hook
screwdriver
hold down
30 slot ribber
Photocopy of 1924 guide
original wood packing case (1/2 of it!)




Displayed with needles in every other slot.

























52 slot cylinder pieces and old needles - I set the cylinder back into the machine and it turns just fine.
Uses 10g needles.
























It turns (72 cylinder)!

More information about Circular Sock Knitting Machines can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment